Nail Psoriasis Symptoms
- One of the earliest symptoms is pitting and splitting of the nails.
- As the nail is deteriorating, the nails are brittle and tear easily requiring more trimming. for maintenance and appearance and to prevent tearing of the nail.
- Nail psoriasis is found in the nails in many shapes and patterns ranging from etching, pits and craters of different colors and depth.
- Sometimes minor inflammation can make the nails sensitive to the touch and of shoes and socks. Both the toenails and fingernails may be affected by nail psoriasis.
- Discoloration from normalcy to a yellowish brown nail and early cell death.
- The beginning of white areas possibly indicating early detachment from the nail bed. Redness of the skin may also be a good indicator.
- A later symptom is the beginning of of dead skin cells under the nails that began to flake out and off.
- As the connective tissue is damaged with the build up of flakey dead skin cells, some separation of the nails from the skin can occur.
- As time passes without treatment, the loss of the nail may occur.
- Skin injury by a hard bump or bruise may be the start of nail psoriasis or trauma can make psoriasis worse.
- Drug reactions can start nail psoriasis or even make the existing nail psoriasis more severe. In essence, try to avoid all or as many medications as possible.
- Reduce or try to reduce alcohol as much as possible along with soft drinks and coffee.
- Climate or weather does make a very large difference for those with nail psoriasis. The low humidity or dry homes and offices that many live in especially during the dry cold winters wicks the moisture from our bodies. So increase water consumption to 10 to 16 'eight ounce glasses of water daily' depending on your body size, outside exposure and exercise.
Psoriasis of the fingernails and toenails is common but can be very difficult to treat. The nails may start to separate from the nail bed. During this process, the nail becomes whitish in appearance. Sometimes it becomes so badly damaged that it starts to crumble.
About one-third of people with nail psoriasis may have a fungal infection, which, if treated could help their nails to improve. Some treatments used for skin psoriasis also may improve the condition of the nails.
Nail pitting looks as if a ball point pen has pushed a dip into the nail and there may be up to 10 on each affected nail. Having pits in the nails does not mean that the psoriasis is going to behave any differently than if there are no nail pits present.
Nail psoriasis is very often found linked psoriatic arthritis. Or those with nail psoriasis frequently develop psoriatic arthritis.
Triggering factors are events or conditions that cause psoriasis to flare up or worsen:
We have found that washing the toes and toe nails with a mild soap with the use of Psoriasis-Ltd III work the best.